International tourism trends confirm that tourists seek a customized trip that meet their needs, passions and dreams. Tourism market calls for a shift from a "tourist product" to a "tourist experience". The current tourism offer is unable to create a real experience. From the seminar entitled "Tourism Experience Design" (WTM, 2015), the following weaknesses were highlighted: limited integrated offer and non-innovative communication; fragmentation of experience; tourism services unable to offer full experience. The new trends in the tourism market clearly show that customer experience represents the "core" of the offer, the "product” in its essence. This new tourism is strongly present in the Mediterranean area (Source: Borsa Mediterranea del Turismo 2016), as it is defined as a typical tourism experience destination.
MUSE project tries to create an offer that may respond to these new trends, through the creation of an Ionian - Adriatic network of Port Museums. The concept of ‘Port Museum’ stems from the idea of investing in culture and nature to ensure sustainable social and economic development in coastal and marine areas, starting from the Apulian region legislation (regional law no. 15, dated 6 July 2011) and the experiences in many European countries.
Create a cross-border area through the development of a common sustainable economy based on a network of Port Museums as natural and cultural heritage sites. In particular, the project aims to create a cross-border sustainable tourist destination by developing a network of three Port Museums (2 in Greece, 1 in Puglia Region), as three cultural expressions of three different coastal identities.
• Innovative methodology for the development of a cross-border network of Adriatic – Ionian port museums as natural and cultural heritage;
• Implement a port museum executive project aimed to boost its cultural and natural values and increase its attractiveness;
• Boost services and infrastructures for cultural, natural and scientific tourism;
• Set up a cross-border network for the governance and enhancement of the port museums as natural and cultural heritage
• Management costs;
• Information & publicity;
• Develop innovative methodology for a cross-border network of Adriatic – Ionian port museums as natural and cultural heritage;
• Implement a port museum development plan aimed to boost its cultural and natural values and increase its attractiveness;
• Boost services and infrastructures of Port Museums for cultural, natural and scientific tourism;
• Activity outside the eligible area.