- About us
- Bari Institute
- What we do
Our Fields of action
The Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Bari (CIHEAM Bari) works mainly in four thematic areas:
Our education and training activities, networks and open platforms, research, cooperation and technical assistance tackle important issues inspired by the CIHEAM Post 2015 Development Agenda such as:
Protecting our planet
- enhancing sustainable management of natural resources, i.e. water, land and soil, and biodiversity. Our solutions provide sustainable impact mitigation measures to drought, erosion and desertification. They include socio-economic and governance aspects as well as human-induced hazard and risk, and their impact on water and food resources availability.
- coping also with environmentally sound renewable and sustainable energy systems and production at community level with a view to supporting sustainable use of water resources, food production and ecosystems protection.
Food security and nutrition
- achieving food security and coping with nutritional challenges by: adapting the crop chains to the effect of climate change, reducing post-harvest losses and contaminations, improving the access to nutritious and safe food, fostering low environmental impact for the quality improvement of fruits and vegetables production by sustainable pest control, reduction or replacement of chemical fertilizers by the sustainable use of natural resources, reduction of environmental pollution, production of healthy food - with a cost reduction - for better life quality, enhancing production of high quality typical products;
- rasing competitiveness of agricultural products of non EU Med countries in the global market by increasing the knowledge on typical and local products, strengthening the network among scientific institutions and stakeholders, developing quality and safety standards for the production and processing of local products that could comply with the international standards by generating innovation process in loco and economic support;
- reducing the loss of the rich biodiversity of the Mediterranean terrestrial and marine flora and fauna, including many endemic species, currently threatened by pollution, over-exploitation of natural resources, soil erosion, intensive farming and also by promoting sustainable diets through the enhancement of environmentally friendly farming practices and identification of sustainable diets capable of ensuring the necessary quality and quantity intake.
- Fostering youth employment and lifelong learning giving though tangible tools to improve professional capabilities. In addition, our local actions, that are mainly income generating activities, enhance vulnerable groups’ participation and gender equality.
- Focusing on coastal or inland zones - where local resources like water, energy or food are under serious threat by environmental and demographic factors. Special attention is given to promote sustainable fisheries and aquaculture and to give the coastal communities tangible solutions to diversify their income.
- Sharing, co-generating and transferring knowledge to identify concrete solutions for sustainable agriculture and rural transformation by envisaging knowledge that respond to the needs through collaborative approach and active involvement of players, mainstreaming knowledge useful to the players in the innovation chain and facilitating open innovation-access to knowledge.
Crisis and resilience
- Coping with mobility and migration by acting downstream through technical and administrative training, capacity building and education activities in hosting countries to promote paths of stabilization, professional growth and integration of third country nationals. Furthermore, cooperation activities aim to assist youth centres for professionalization in countries of origin as well as formal education paths to support them in completing their studies at professional, under-graduate and post-graduate level;
- Reducing climate and demographic change pressure on environment and ecosystems through the efficient use of resources by providing models and adaptable innovative schemes for the efficient use of local resources, with particular regard to water demand, water distribution, water use efficiency and water saving, sustainable use of non-conventional water resources. The participatory approach is our main concern.
How we implement
CIHEAM Bari is very active in the implementation of research and cooperation projects as well as technical assistance.
Projects and technical assistance activities are based on two main types of funding:
- Direct assignment from the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation normally based on a specific request from the beneficiary countries;
- Following open calls for proposals
In the period 2010-2016, the following projects have been completed, are being completed or are being started:
||N° of projects
|Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
|Italian National Funds